Medical Levy Exemption Australia Students and Temporary Residents Alert | e Study Abroad
If you are eligible for Medicare Levy Exemption and is claiming or have claimed this in your #taxreturn2020 or any previous years, please make sure you have submitted this to the relevant authority and have the #medicare exemption certificate.
Expenses you can claim
If you meet one of the eligibility requirements above, the following self-education expenses are allowable tax deductions:
- tuition fees, including fees payable under FEE-HELP, VET Student Loan (formerly known as VET FEE-HELP) (but doesn’t include expenses paid under HECS-HELP),
- self-education expenses paid with your OS-HELP loan
- textbooks, professional and trade journals
- computer expenses
- student union fees
- student services and amenities fees
- accommodation and meals (when the course requires you to be away from home for one or more nights)
- running expenses if you have a room set aside for self-education purposes – such as the cost of heating, cooling and lighting that room while you are studying in it
- allowable travel expenses.